Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oh no! They drive on the wrong side of the road....

Well, I’m gonna be a bit more chatty today. We are currently on our way to the next destination and we will arrive tomorrow morning. It’s only 2pm in the afternoon now. I’m sitting on our ‘veranda’ as I write, looking at the water, the beautiful Virgin Islands, both the British and the US Islands. We spent today in Tortola, BVI. Definitely like it a whole more than St Maarten. I was trying to explain it to Jerry and we both agreed, it was just a feeling we had while we were there.
I had problems sleeping last night, so I moved out onto the chaise lounge on the deck. Temp was about 85, nice breeze, lots of stars (and no Jerry snoring….) I was surprised, but I had to put my robe over me to warm up a little and then I snoozed. (Oh, I just looked out across the water, there’s an island with a rock beach…. The waves are crashing on it like a choreographed dance!) Back to my dissertation here, we had to be on shore by 7:15 in the morning for our tour of Tortola. The wake up call got Jerry going at 6:30 and he couldn’t find me….heehee…. I’m sure there was only a second of a panic for him, but obviously he found me. Took a quick shower, got the kids, off we went…. Oh wait, Dan doesn’t have his SeaPass (our officical ID to get us off and on the boat)…. Back we go to their room, empty out Halley’s purse, cuz she often carries it… finally, found it, and then back to the gangway to disembark and head for the tour.
Three hours of gorgeous scenery, cars driving on the wrong side of the road as far as I was concerned, some gorgeous, gorgeous beaches, anchorages, and little hidyhole places with beautiful bright pale colors (I was expecting that sort of thing in St Maarten, since it was Dutch). We drove by the infamous “Bomba Shack”… got out and checked it out…. Very, very eclectic to say the least…. Well known all over this area…. I picture it a place Jillian would want to hang out if she were travelling so she could say she experienced it. Course, her dad and I would prolly prefer she skip it…. lol






Cane Garden Bay Beach was a favorite, and Pussers Landing had the neatest stores and nice, nice marina. It reminded Jerry and I of his sailing days….. NEWSFLASH: Halley and Dan bought no Chotskes here. I saw a T-Shirt in one of the stores that kinda summed it all…. “Same sh.t, different island, that’s all.” Truly, they have the same stuff at each store that you can buy I think on ANY island in the Carribean!
So, that brings me back to sitting on the deck, writing…. A very good memory to put in my “hard drive!”

1 comment:

  1. Been there done that,love the BVI we spent a week there two Christmases ago. I recognise the marina we rented one of those catamaran sail boats and traveled all over the BVI and based out of Peter Island. That's the island you can see in the picture over Jerry's left shoulder. We plan to go back again someday, I hope!! Have fun,Love the posts, John W.

    ReplyDelete